Negotiators have reached a tentative agreement to end a week-long strike at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, according to Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.

Clerical workers from a local office of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union have agreed to a new contract with the terminal operators at the ports, Villaraigosa announced late Tuesday in the US.

The union said it may resume work on Wednesday.

The strike at the key US transport gateway, which handles 40% of US maritime imports, mainly from Asia, has cost billions of dollars to the local and wider US economy. It shut down 10 of the 14 cargo container terminals at the complex and forced container ships to divert to other ports in California, notably Oakland, up the coast near San Francisco, and Mexico.

The striking clerical workers said they had been without contracts since June 2010, and the two sides had argued over whether or not the employers could outsource the jobs of union workers who retired or left for other employment.

 

Photo from http://www.portoflosangeles.org/

You May Also Like

CCBI can stand as witness during physical exam of alerted cargoes—BOC

The Philippine Bureau of Customs (BOC) and Chamber of Customs Brokers, Inc. (CCBI) have signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) authorizing personnel and experts…

ICAO members endorse new 2050 vision on use of sustainable jet fuels

Member states of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) have agreed on a new 2050 Vision for Sustainable Aviation Fuels which will now help…

ICTSI offer date for Portek shares extended

THE closing date for ICTSI Far East’s offer to acquire all issued and paid-up ordinary shares in Singapore-listed Portek International Limited has been extended…

Customs seizes P15-M worth smuggled sugar, exposes new modus

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) seized P15 million worth of smuggled sugar, following inspection of 28 alerted shipments at the Manila International Container Port (MICP)…