Massive traffic jam in roads leading to and from the ports. Photo from the Facebook page of Manila Mayor Domagoso.
Aug 9 massive traffic jam on roads leading to and from the ports. Photo from the Facebook page of Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso.

The Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) has suspended truck bookings into Manila South Harbor through the Terminal Appointment Booking System (TABS) from today (Aug 9) until August 10.

This is to address the cargo processing backlog resulting from a slowdown in operations at Manila South Harbor since Aug 8.

“Due to typhoon Hanna which has enhanced the southwest monsoon characterized by strong winds and heavy downpour, Manila South Harbor has experienced intermittent operational disruption since late last night, including the entry of trucks into the terminal. This is a necessary safety precaution, especially during inclement weather. At any given time, the lives and safety of our stakeholders is the topmost priority,” South Harbor operator Asian Terminals Inc said in a press statement.

“To cope with the truck build-up, we have mobilized all available spaces within the expanded port zone, in coordination with the Philippine Ports Authority, to accommodate inbound trucks and ease the traffic buildup.

“Bookings into the terminal through TABS have temporarily been suspended to allow us to immediately serve the existing backlog and to avoid additional queues. We also advise our other trucking partners who have already pre-booked not to proceed to the terminal until the situation has normalized. A customer circular and electronic messages have been issued to our customers as guidance.”

According to PPA, Manila International Container Terminal operator International Container Terminal Services, Inc. is on full commercial operations despite the bad weather, with all its gates open to accept transactions.

The slowdown in operations has caused heavy vehicular traffic in roads leading to Manila ports.

Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso, in a statement on the morning of August 9, requested truckers and other motorists to refrain from traversing Road 10 and other roads going to and from Manila ports as the traffic build-up is expected to continue the entire day.

PPA general manager Atty. Jay Daniel Santiago, in a radio interview on August 9, said due to bad weather, port operations are on a “stop and go” for safety reasons.

The Manila Traffic and Parking Bureau has mobilized its enforcers to provide assistance to truckers going to the ports. PPA has also deployed the Port Police and security guards to help manage vehicular traffic along Bonifacio Drive, R10, and the entire Manila Port Area. – Roumina Pablo

Updated 2:55pm to reflect scope of coverage of Terminal Appointment Booking System. The suspension only covers the Manila South Harbor and not Manila International Container Terminal, as earlier announced by the Philippine Ports Authority.

You May Also Like

Subic, Clark freeports add 11% to PH 2014 GDP

The Freeport zones of Subic Bay, Zambales and Clark, Pampanga together contributed 11% of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2014. “Clark’s and…

e2m cleans importers’ list, jacks up BOC collections

THE electronic-to-mobile (e2m) project has halved the number of fly-by-night importers and brokers registered at the Bureau of Customs (BOC) and positively affected the…

Hong Kong’s AAT, Hactl report May cargo numbers

Asia Airfreight Terminal (AAT), the second cargo terminal handler at Hong Kong International Airport, said it saw a double-digit growth in air cargo traffic…

Tanker business still not on solid ground

BUSINESS will continue to be slow in 2010 but will be so much better than last year, according to the Philippine Petroleum Sea Transport…