ID-100137747The recently formed Inter-Agency Council on Traffic (I-ACT) has launched a new traffic scheme along Epifanio Delos Reyes Avenue (EDSA) intended to decongest one of Metro Manila’s main thoroughfares.

I-ACT said that on 5 a.m. of September 5, it implemented the following: closed U-turn slots southbound near Trinoma mall after West Avenue to SM City North northbound; closed or removed the counter flow on Estrella Flyover from Rockwell to EDSA; and made North Road, EDSA a one-way street only from EDSA.

I-ACT is composed of the Department of Transportation’s (DOTr) two attached agencies, Land Transportation Office and Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board; Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA); Philippine National Police-Highway Patrol Group (PNP-HPG); and volunteers from transport groups called Force Multipliers.

“We are appealing to all motorists who will be affected by said changes to bear with us as we effect said traffic plan to address the traffic problem of EDSA,” the inter-agency group said.

I-ACT was formally convened last month to be the single authority to manage road traffic in Metro Manila. Operating as one agency, HPG and MMDA will be sharing assets such as manpower and motorcycles. HPG will also link up with the MMDA command center for better traffic monitoring.

The agencies are also working together to come up with uniform penalties for traffic violations; traffic personnel will also be required to undergo joint training.

Image courtesy of feelart at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

You May Also Like

PH faces pre-AEC maritime transport challenges

THERE are a number of “looming” challenges in the maritime transport sector that the country must face in the runup to the ASEAN Economic…

Cavite Gateway Terminal officially opens Nov 5

The Cavite Gateway Terminal (CGT), the Philippines’ first container roll-on/roll-off (ro-ro) barge terminal, will formally open in November, according to the Department of Transportation…

PH ports agency to spend P212M for relocation of informal settlers at North Harbor

The Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) has approved disbursement of P212.5 million to relocate 768 informal settler families residing in North Harbor. This will pave…

Ban on building of new terminals at Vietnam’s southern ports

Vietnam has imposed a ban until 2015 on the construction of new container terminals in the southern part of the country to ease the…